VITAL RECORDS OF SHARON, MASSACHUSETTS
TO THE YEAR 1850
COMPILED BY THOMAS W. BALDWIN, A.B., S.B., MEMBER
OF THE NEW ENGLAND HISTORIC GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY.
BOSTON, MASS., 1909
Transcribed by Mary-Sue Gardetto
JUNE 21, 1765, the Second Precinct of Stoughton was set apart as a separate district and called Stoughtonham. By Act of August 23, 1775, it was made a separate town.
June 10, 1778, part of the town was set off to form part of the new town of Foxboro.
February 26, 1783, an act of the General Court changed the name to Sharon.
February 16, 1789, part of Stoughton was annexed to Sharon; also another part by Act of February 12, 1792.
March 12, 1793, part of Sharon was annexed to Foxboro.
February 28, 1804, part of Sharon was annexed to Walpole, and another part on June 21, 1811.
February 28, 1850, part of Sharon was annexed to Foxboro.
March 26, 1864, part of Stoughton was annexed to Sharon.
May 1, 1874, part of Sharon was annexed to Walpole.
Population by Census: 1776 (Prov.), 1261; 1790 (U.S.), 1034; 1800 (U.S.), 1018; ; 1810 (U.S.), 1000; 1820 (U.S.), 1010; ; 1830 (U.S.), 1023; 1840 (U.S.), 1076; ; 1850 (U.S.), 1128 1860 (U.S.), 1377; ; 1865 (State), 1393; 1870 (U.S.), 1508; ; 1875 (State), 1330; 1880 (U.S.), 1492; ; 1885 (State), 1328; 1890 (U.S.), 1634; ; 1895 (State), 1717: 1900 (U.S.), 2060; 1905 (State), 2085: ;
1. WHEN places other than Sharon and Massachusetts are named in the original records, they are given in the printed copy.
2. In all records the original spelling is followed.
3. The various spellings of a name should be examined, as items about the same family or individual may be found under different spellings.
4. Marriages are printed under the names of both parties. When a marriage appears without the intention recorded, it is designated with an asterisk.
5. Additional information which does not appear in the originnal text of an item, i.e., any explanation, query, inference, or difference shown in other entries of the record, is bracketed.
C.R.1-church record, Orthodox Congregational
C.R.2__church record, Unitarian Congregational
C.R.3__church record, Baptist
d.__daughter; died; day
dup .__duplicate entry
P.R. 1__from copy made by William R. Mann of record of Rev. Philip Curtis
P.R.2__from record copied from family Bible by William R. Mann
T.C.__from town copy
Return to [ Town's at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ]